Monday 6 July 2015

KL NOIR: BLUE


This is my first time reading Fixi and seangkatan dengannya. Sometimes, these kinds of books are so tempting, but for the past years you don’t know how much effort I had put in not buying them. Why? I don’t quite know myself.

Maybe because I love book so much to the extent I hate the thought that people could also corrupt it when writing their mind out. Corruption and me really don’t go well these days, you know.

Before, if you look at books, they are all facts, fictions, biographies, self developments, ancient histories, beautifully written novels, social studies, current –theme issues, but now all that I see is a bunch of people desperately needed to be heard. I got scared. I had always avoided that one shelf which full with fixis and Indies.

Books are my sanctuary. I don’t like to see it was ill written.

So, this time I had kill my own prejudice and decide to read one. I guess I’m really out of luck. The book should consider labeling itself ‘unfiltered’ on its cover page so then I better know myself not to buy it again next time. Duh.

If you consider on reading this book, make sure you are cukup umur, are okay with vulgar words, quick to catch up, not reading it in bulan Ramadhan because kuranglah pahala puasa kau, don’t mind with bahasa rojak and last but not least are okay with what-the-heck-had-happened punya ending.

Sorry, I expressed better when I do rojak. Or when I get really fed up.

So like the saying goes, ‘buang yang keruh amik yang jernih’, I’ll try to extract some of the good point that the book had so that at least, this reading could actually become worthier.


KL Noir: Blue




It consists of 15 short stories each from a different writer. Most of the setting took place in Kuala Lumpur and around Selangor. You’ll read some common places like Brickfield quite often. I don’t really understand the genre. Is it horror, true story, fiction, supernatural, crime? I guess it’s a mix of all that.


“Revenge is not justice, since the warpath the revenger embarks on is inherently unjust. But when criminality pervades the centers of justice, the lawmakers become the lawbreakers. The corruption of our trusted institution signals to the revenger (and the reader) an overriding need for vengeance.”

- Eeleen Lee, Editor.



I actually love some of the stories like Monster by Xeus, Mirage by Zed Adam, Sinful Saints by Iqbal Abu Bakar and Ah Beng's Wedding by William Tham Wai Liang. That's pretty much.

Just because these stories have points that arguably true. 


"Law and justice, young man, are not the same thing. Sometimes you have to break the law in order to bring out justice. They fight to defend the law in the courtroom, not justice. And laws are like cobwebs. They catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through."

- Sinful Sainst, Iqbal Abu Bakar.


" At least in the old days, people did it for a cause, for the greater good. But now, it's like we are moving backwards. It's like the more advanced we are, the more excuse we find to spill blood. Our own blood."

- Whose Blood Was It, Anyway?, Mamu Vies.


"Justice doesn't necessarily wear a uniform. Neither does it come automatically with a position of power."

- Unwanted Utopia II, Deviant.